We believe that the biggest problems are solved by conscious individuals. Each individual wants the world to be a better place. Therefore, we want to raise awareness on Challenges our Planet, Our Home. Moreover, we want to raise awareness on sea level issues.
This issue is reported by the Global Issues list of UN. Agreements (Paris) and Protocol (Kyoto) are made, subsequently, the European Union has set goals to reduce the use of fossil fuels by 20% by 2020. These ambitious goals are not achieved. Therefore, we need to start working on that.
SAVE THE PENGUINS!
By analyzing Nasa's Sea Level Change Observations from Space, we realize that since 1995 the sea level has increased significantly. In order to reach our audience, represented by teenagers but no exclusive, we use penguins symbolically. Antarctic is the continent with lowest density of soil, besides, it would be the most affected continent by sea level rise. Therefore, their habitants will be highly affected: Penguins!
We have created a game in which the player is granted with super powers; the player can play with the variables that affects sea level rise without having political restrictions. Obviously, we want to make our target aware of the fact that good decisions are important in order to solve such a huge problem. Good decisions take a holistic approach, an approach that considers the environment and the resources.
Our game is as follows:
- The player receives resources: Money and Influence. With money you can buy the resources that affect changes. With influence you can create support within the communities.
- The sea level rises by a certain period of time.
- Random Events happen, for example, some president of big country does not believe in global warming.
- The player can sea ;-), the sea level rise of decrease by its actions (no action is also an action).
- There is an index which tell how good he performs.
SpaceApps is a NASA incubator innovation program.